Every day, almost 30 people in the United States die in motor vehicle crashes that involve an alcohol-impaired driver. This amounts to one death every 48 minutes. The annual cost of alcohol-related crashes totals more than $51 billion.
How big is the problem?
• In 2010, 10,228 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
• Of the 1,210 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2010, 211 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
• Of the 211 child passengers ages 14 and younger who died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes in 2010, over half (131) were riding in the vehicle with the alcohol-impaired driver.
• In 2010, over 1.4 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics.3 That's one percent of the 112 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.
• Drugs other than alcohol (e.g., marijuana and cocaine) are involved in about 18% of motor vehicle driver deaths. These other drugs are often used in combination with alcohol."
Individuals who have been injured because of an impaired driver may be entitled to compensation for their losses, including:
* Medical Bills
* Lost Wages
* Pain and Suffering
* Punitive Damages in Some Cases
Under some circumstances, a lawsuit against the provider of alcoholic beverages may also be warranted. If this is the case, a prompt and thorough investigation is mandatory.
A lawyer skilled and experienced in investigating and prosecuting motor vehicle crashes will be able to review your case in order to maximize compensation to you. A Statute of Limitations restricts the time to file a personal injury lawsuit, so it is important to consult an attorney as soon as possible after such an injury. If you or a loved one have suffered serious injury as a result of a drunk driver, you may be eligible to file a legal claim and pursue compensation. Contact us for a free consultation.
For general inquiries or questions, please
Copyright 2017 Chester Law Office / Site By CW Productions
230 North Main Street
Elkhart, IN 46516
At Chester Law Office, our philosophy is simple: we help accident victims receive fair and reasonable compensation from the responsible party. For more than 25 years, our practice has focused on helping people in Elkhart County obtain fair compensation from insurance companies.
The laws governing legal advertising in the state of Indiana require the following statement in any publication of this kind:
"THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT"
This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.